Thrive’s September monthly specials immediately made me think of Hawaiian Haystacks. I’ve heard that this is not a well-known dish outside of the western states so if you’ve never heard of them before, give them a shot! Normally you would make the rice separately and pour the chicken gravy overtop but I thought this one-pot way would be easier and less dishes to clean.
Hawaiian Haystacks Meal-in-a-Jar Recipe
All ingredients will be cheaper and are available for free shipping for delivery customers if your order is over $100. A quart-sized jar will make 4-5 small servings.
- 1/4 c. Thrive Veloute Sauce
- 2 T. Thrive Chopped Onions
- 3/4 c. Thrive Chopped Chicken
- 1 1/4 c. Thrive Instant Rice
- 1 tsp. Garlic
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1/4 c. Thrive Monterey Jack Cheese
- 1/2 c. Thrive Pineapple
- 1 T. Coconut Flakes
- 2 tsp. Thrive Green Onions
- 1/4 c. Chow Mein Noodles
To make jar: Add 1st 6 ingredients into the jar in the order listed. Add remaining ingredients into a zip-lock bag and place into jar.
To prepare: Boil 3 cups of water in large saucepan. Remove zip-lock bag from jar. Add first 6 ingredients to boiling water. Simmer for 7 minutes. Let sit 5 more minutes or until most of the water is absorbed. Top with remaining 5 ingredients or any other yummy toppings (mandarine oranges, tomatoes, olives, etc.)
Add these items to your monthly delivery and you should be able to make 10-11 jars!
- Thrive Veloute Sauce (1 pantry can)
- Thrive Chopped Onions (1 pantry can)
- Thrive Chopped Chicken – ON SALE (1 family can)
- Thrive Instant Rice (1 family can + 1 pantry can)
- Thrive Monterey Jack Cheese – ON SALE (1 pantry can)
- Thrive Pineapple – ON SALE (2 pantry cans)
- Thrive Green Onions (1 pantry can)
Remember feel free to customize your delivery if you already have some of these items on hand or want to substitute a different product or brand. Also make sure to adjust your delivery each month for the new recipe so you don’t get sent the same items again!
Join the Group
To get additional information on each month’s recipes like how to adjust for smaller sized meals and bonus recipes make sure you join the monthly group emails. Then you won’t miss a single thing!
Pin this post to save for later
- Jodi Weiss Schroeder